SBCO Enrichment Series
Tuesday, November 15, 2016; 7:30 pm
Mural Room, Santa Barbara Courthouse
The newly restored Mural Room at the Santa Barbara Courthouse will be the setting for this spicy, Spanish-flavored concert, featuring a pair of works by nuevo tango pioneer Astor Piazzolla, Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco’s superlative Quintet for Guitar and String Quartet, Heitor Villa-Lobos’ piquant Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5 Aria (Cantilena), and Luigi Boccherini’s elegantly wistful Fandango Guitar Quintet.
Led by Joel Pargman, the outstanding ensemble will include fellow violinist Carrie Kennedy, violist Colleen Sugata, and cellist Paula Fehrenbach. Joining them will be guest artist Brian Head, who chairs the Classical Guitar Department at USC’s Thornton School of Music and serves as artistic director of the Guitar Foundation of America. This performance is part of an exciting, new collaboration with the Courthouse Legacy Foundation.
Wine reception included with ticket.
Please Note: This concert is currently SOLD OUT, please call to be added to our waitlist.
- Castelnuovo-Tedesco: Quintet for guitar and string quartet, Op. 143
- Villa-Lobos (arr. Brian Head): Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5: Aria (Cantilena)
- Piazzolla (arr. Joel Pargman): Tango - Ètudes No. 3
- Piazzolla: Four for Tango, string quartet
- Boccherini: Guitar Quintet in D major, G. 448: III. Fandango